5 Facts You Should Know Before Deciding on Dental Implants!
We take for granted all the work our teeth do until one is lost. All your teeth work together, so losing the function of even one tooth can cause discomfort when you try to eat your favorite foods. Teeth also help to support your facial structure, so a missing tooth can cause you to look older and make you feel self-conscious about your appearance.
Our goal is to help you find a tooth replacement solution so you can get back to enjoying life again. You do have options to consider, but the preferred method for tooth replacement is dental implants.
Even if you have heard of implants, you may not know how they work or what their benefits are. To help you make an informed decision about whether dental implants are right for you, here are some facts to keep in mind:
- A dental implant consists of a titanium replacement root that is anchored in your jawbone. We can use a single implant to replace a tooth, or we can restore implants by attaching them to a bridge or denture.
- Compared to dentures, dental implants significantly restore your ability to chew comfortably again. Dental implants restore about 90% of your chewing ability, while dentures restore only about 10%.
- Instead of dentures that sit on top of your gums and make speaking and eating a challenge, an implant is stabilized in your jawbone and functions just like a natural tooth would. If you are a denture-wearer, we can add implants to prevent movement and embarrassing accidents.
- A dental implant is a standalone solution that, unlike a bridge, doesn’t require the alteration of healthy adjacent teeth.
- Your dentures will need to be relined every three to five years, but dental implants are virtually maintenance free.
Please Call to Learn More
At our Washington, PA dental office we restore implants with beautiful, natural-looking crowns, bridges, or dentures. If you have lost a tooth and think a dental implant might be right for you, please call to arrange a consultation.